Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Name Game . . .

I know, I know---everyone wants belly pictures. The problem is this: we lost the camera cord, and the battery is dead. So we're stuck until we have a new cord. They'll be coming soon though---and get excited, my mom & Lisa say that I'm carrying "wide." Isn't that great? Who doesn't like being called wide? (That's part of the reason they think the baby is a girl)






(That's the umpire signal for "wide." I'm just waiting for people to start doing that when I walk down the street.)


So baby names are a hot topic. People are curious, and everyone has an opinion. Here's the thing--I probably don't want to know your opinion. So Dave & I have been talking about what to do with names--should we let our family and friends know about our potential names, thereby risking an influx of (possibly) negative feedback? Or should we keep them a secret, eliminating the potential negativity, but also blocking our family & friends out of the fun? So I've developed a plan, which (for me) is the best of both worlds . . . pay close attention :)


We are happy to share names that we like (which will probably change a million times) with one important rule---NO NEGATIVITY. If you don't like the name, I don't care (and I mean that in the nicest way possible). Should you feel the need to voice your negativity, we will feel the need to no longer include you in any name preference conversations! Even if we say that we're planning on naming the baby Britney Spears Nieder, the appropriate reaction would be a polite nod. Like mom always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

***One obvious exception--if we actually ask you for your opinion on a name, then hit me with your best shot! ***


So to summarize, if you're interested in our thoughts on names, we're open to sharing. But one strike and you're out of the naming loop (until the baby is born--we'll tell everyone the name then, and if you don't like it then you can tell the baby to its little face).

2 comments:

kris said...

I can't wait to start the Name Game! I'm interested, intrigued and promise to find wonderful things to say about every name you throw out there.

Anonymous said...

I did NOT say you were wide!!!!! I said you are carrying HIGH!!!!!! I was wide with Emerson... and it all goes back to normal eventually!!! AND who was it who constantly called me a 'tank' when I was pregnant with Collin? If i go back far enough I am sure I can find your posts! ;)

I like the names I've heard so far... can't wait to hear more! and if people give you crap about the names pick a random object and say that is what you're going to name the kid... ie Mixing Bowl Nieder!