Monday, October 27, 2014

More Resources Monday: What I've been reading about reading

Like many others, I spend a great deal of time each week reading articles, blog posts, websites, and research that can guide the stuff that I do with Maya. This week I've been thinking a lot about her reading abilities (again) and trying to figure out how to assess her and move forward. One of the best websites out there about literacy for AAC users is this one, from the powerhouse team Janice Light and David McNaughton. That site is my resource share today---with you all and with myself. It's a site that I come back to every few months, poke around, and then think "I need to figure out a plan." So it's hear as a reminder for me, and a site you might want to file away.

I also saw that they have a webcast too, but haven't had time to check it out.

Literacy can be tricky business for functionally nonverbal people (it's difficult for me to imagine sounding out words without being able to use my voice to do so), but it's probably the second most important thing I can work on with Maya---my goals have been "get her a voice, then get her reading."


No comments: