Sunday, September 25, 2011

Computers & Camels

The title means that I'm going to tell you about 2 things: 1. Computers.  2.  Camels.  Separately, not together.  I'm doubtful that camels and computers are a good combo.  (Although, my college mascot was a camel, so I guess right now I actually am a camel with a computer . . . but I digress.)

First of all, this post is being brought to you from my fancy new home workstation.  I set up a desk space with a monitor, keyboard and mouse---allowing me to turn my laptop into a desktop.  Why?  2 reasons.  First of all, for Maya.  I want her to start touching a keyboard and mouse, but I certainly don't trust her with my (breakable) laptop.  The external keyboard is a much better idea, and the big monitor screen lets her easily see what's happening.  2.  With my sudden influx of free time, I feel like it's time to put my money where my mouth is and see if I can really become a better writer.  I've started taking a writing class, and I wanted a "work place", as opposed to on the couch/at the dining room table with the laptop. 

So, win-win.

Here's the set-up:


We got these great keyboard stickers to make the letters easier for Maya to see (she doesn't have any vision issues, but it just makes sense to me to make the keys big while I'm trying to introduce them to her).  They peel off easily, too . . .don't ask me how I know that.  It's not like I put 2 of them in the wrong places or anything.


Keyboard before the stickers:


Keyboard after the stickers:

I only put on some of the stickers---letters, numbers, arrows, and enter.  I saved the extra ones, but they didn't seem necessary for her.

They work great for her---she noticed all of the letters right away.  I'm still getting used to the fact that the keyboard seems to be yelling at me.

On another note, we went to the Bronx Zoo this morning and Maya went on her first camel ride!  Here's a video:



*one label got cut---it was supposed to say "This glance over my shoulder was to tell Dave 'she loves it!'"

A good time for everyone!

Well, almost everyone.


Check out my new poll in the upper right hand corner.  I want to know more about when you come to the blog---take a second and vote, please :) I tried to add options for "I came here from a link on another blog/site" and "I came here from a google search" but couldn't get the annoying poll thing to add the options.  So, sorry.  Feel free to comment with a write-in answer if you're so inclined.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

" I'm still getting used to the fact that the keyboard seems to be yelling at me."

LOL. Exactly!!1