Friday, May 4, 2012

If you're looking for communication solutions . . .

 . . . well, now is a good time to be looking.  There are a few things happening right now that I would be really enthused about (if we didn't already own the apps that I'm about to discuss).  Here's some stuff that you might be interested in:

1. Speak for Yourself Lite*:  Speak for Yourself is the communication app that we use with Maya, which we love (and mention frequently).  Yesterday the Speak for Yourself team released a lite version of the app---which is free!  It's a great opportunity to try the app out and see if it could work for your child (or adults with communication challenges, too).  This is the link to the iTunes page for the lite version, and this is a video overview of the features of the lite version (and the rationale behind them).

2. Speak for Yourself sale*:  If you like the lite version, May is a good month to buy the full version of Speak for Yourself.  Until 5/31 it's on sale for $189.99 (instead of $299.99).

3. Smarty Ears Custom Boards sale*:  Remember the calendar center and schedule that I posted last week?  Those word cards were created by printing Smarty Symbols via their Custom Boards app.  This app allows you to create boards, signs, etc with the Smarty Symbols (the same symbol language used in Speak for Yourself).  It's handy to have if you're using the Speak for Yourself app, because you can create labels, etc that support the immersion in that symbol language.  It's currently half-price ($19.99 instead of $39.99), but only until 5/9


In other news, I've mustered all of my spare determination and waded into the world of Pinterest.  A lot of our stuff has already been pinned by other lovely folks, but I thought it would make sense to create a pinboard that has all of our DIY ideas in one spot.  You can see that here.  I'll be creating other boards, too, the first will likely be of DIY projects that I want to try.  (If you see something that you think I might be interested in, please send it my way via our facebook page or email-thanks!)


*Disclaimer: I don't work for Speak for Yourself or Smarty Ears.  I just like their stuff, and we use it because it's good.

2 comments:

Amy H said...

Thank you so much, I just downloaded the lite app to try with my son.

Antti Juva said...

This is a great opportunity for me because i am looking for a communication solution and i feel really interesting to those good stuff.Thanks.