Wednesday, March 9, 2011

'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight* (and every night, actually)

It seems that cows have been bumped from the top spot on the "Things Maya Loves" list.  Her newest obsession?  Santa. 

Last week Dave pulled out her Santa pajamas (because they were the only clean ones left are so cute) and she went crazy.  She was giggling, pointing, laughing, totally excited about SANTA on her pajamas!  Since then, she's worn them every night and is a little obsessed.

When I dumped the clean laundry on to the couch to start folding it . . . she started to giggle, toddled at full speed over to the pile, and triumphantly held up . . .

 . . . SANTA PAJAMAS!

And then she did an imprompu shake-them-in-the-air dance of joy!
In hindsight, it's weirdly fitting that she's wearing her "I believe in Santa" shirt
The tricky thing about the Santa pajamas is that they are 2 piece----a top and bottoms.  Typically she sleeps in zip-up footie pajamas.  The two piece nature of the pajamas led to a surprising morning discovery the other day:

What?  I'm just taking off my pants.  I know that I've never done it before, but I've been awake for a while, I already threw my books*, and I didn't have anything better to do.

Then, the next morning . . .

What's the big deal, Mommy?
Oh, my pants?
They're on the floor.

(The Santa pants are front and center, along with her blanket, bedtime books, and assorted other stuff that got dropped out of the crib.)

You may be thinking "That's cute!"  (Or you may be thinking "What's the big deal?")  The problem was, I knew where this was heading.  First comes trying to take the pants off.  Then comes quickly taking the pants off.  What comes next, people? 


Any guesses?


The following morning . . .


(This picture is blurry and oddly shaped because it was taken on my cell phone and cropped)

Yeah, that's her diaper.  In her hands.  Luckily it was only wet and not dirty. 

Holy moly.

Check out the video below, and witness Maya's enthusiasm for Santa pajamas yourself.  One mention of the pajamas and she goes from whining about going to bed to literally beating down her own door.




*The books in the crib thing was recently mentioned on the Facebook page, as was another cute story today.  Head on over there to check it out---it's set to public, so you don't have to be "on Facebook" to see our page.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We too are footed zipper pajama people in our house for that very reason. Unfortunately, we learned the hard way, when our daughter removed her dirty diaper and proceeded to paint her crib, herself, and the walls with her poop. You can imagine how I reacted when I came in to find such a disaster. I was 7 months pregnant at the time and I just sat down and cried for a good five minutes before picking myself up and beginning the process of cleaning. Then, our daughter learned how to unzip, so now we are sure to safety pin the zipper to the cloth before she goes to bed.

kris said...

best video of all time. maya cracks me up.

Unknown said...

So funny! I love the video.

anne said...

What a great step for Maya and a potential total disaster for you! You go Maya!

Tanya said...

I am laughing like a fool. This is sooo freaking funny. she is so darned smart. I love this post, and I love her.

AmeliaTeca said...

Watching Maya walking fills me with such delight. Good on y'all!!!